Sign in to follow this  
Andrey

Questions from noob

Question

Hey, guys. I want to write my own CPPS. But I want to know some things first:

1. Does it worth it to learn sockets?

2. Can I write simple server for hour if I good in programming?

3. I need to use git, right?

4. Does it worth to read other sources? Or docs of CP protocol I found will be enough?

Thank you for reading this. Please answer, if you can help =)

Edited by Andrey

2 answers to this question

Hi Andrey, welcome to Solero.

If you want to write your own game server for a CPPS, then it is worth reading up about what a socket server actually is, you clearly already have some idea about what the task is that you are undertaking!

A CPPS game server is basically a socket server that responds to two different types of packets, XML (or login) packets, and XT (or game/world) packets. There are a few other things which are really essential if you wish to write a game server for a CPPS:

• Full understanding of the Club Penguin Protocol. You can learn this by either reading the action script code hidden inside the Club Penguin client files (this involves downloading a media server and opening files up in JPEX decompiler), or, by looking at other, already built source codes and seeing how they work (this is how most people learn).
  • In-depth knowledge of how to write code in a programming language of your choice. Any programming language will probably do just fine, I recommend a higher-level interpreted language (and perhaps one that supports parallel programming?) since it sounds like you might be a beginner. Don't choose a language because someone told you it's faster, choose one you're good at, and stick with it. 
  • Knowledge of some kind of database software, since your game server is going to have to store data about users somewhere. You do not have to use MySQL, there are actually tons of other great database servers out there, however MySQL is a popular choice thanks to its good support for small sized databases and documentation scattered around the web, not to mention the numerous libraries & ORMs compatible with MySQL & SQL in general.

So to answer your questions tl;dr mode

Yes, learning about socket servers, specifically TCP, is essential.

With some languages & their libraries these days you can write a TCP socket server in 10 seconds flat, however you'll never write a whole CPPS game server in under an hour!?

You don't have to use git, although it's a handy tool for keeping track of your work, it's not a necessity, but extremely helpful. If you don't know how to use git, I would recommend you focus on implementing the base of your server first, rather than faffing around trying to learn git, which can be a fairly large topic in itself.

Yes, as I stated above, reading sources already made is a very good idea. I would recommend reading through sources like Kitsune or Houdini to get yourself started.

Hope I helped a little, good luck & have fun!

5 minutes ago, Ben said:

Hi Andrey, welcome to Solero.

Hi.

6 minutes ago, Ben said:

If you want to write your own game server for a CPPS, then it is worth reading up about what a socket server actually is, you clearly already have some idea about what the task is that you are undertaking!

I'm already read about sockets and I have some idea about what I do. 

14 minutes ago, Ben said:

Knowledge of some kind of database software

I'm happy to have knowledge in that. 

10 minutes ago, Ben said:

(this involves downloading a media server and opening files up in JPEX decompiler),

I like that part. I like to explore client source codes and logs.

15 minutes ago, Ben said:

by looking at other, already built source codes and seeing how they work

I like that too 

11 minutes ago, Ben said:

since it sounds like you might be a beginner

Yup, I'm beginner in that.

I code for a year and I have tons of languages sticked with me. I love C/C++/C#/Go/PHP/JavaScript (both client and server)/Perl/Python. I'll choose that I know best from that list.

8 minutes ago, Ben said:

however you'll never write a whole CPPS game server in under an hour!?

I don't want to write full CPPS game server for under an hour. I'm interested in how long it takes to write basic login + world server for pro in CPPSes to be able to walk or talk. I didn't write even login server in an hour.

My ApiCheck implementation didn't work. I got no response from client. But I'll rewrite that. Possibly I replied wrong. 

Also, sorry if I wrote something wrong. English isn't my native language.

Thank you for your reply! You helped me a lot.

Sign in to follow this